The Bioplicity Scientific Writing Workshop, led by Dr. Ashley Williams, is a great addition to any graduate training program. The workshop participants learn skills needed to organize, structure, and write effective research papers and grants. The workshop starts with a discussion of some basic principles of clear and concise writing and then dives into specific issues in scientific writing. Key topics include tense choice, scientific sentence structure, and how to avoid wordiness. We also discuss approaches for ensuring smooth flow and overall elegance in writing
This workshop is perfect for early-stage researchers with little or no paper writing experience. Non-native English speakers will find the workshop especially valuable.
- Preparing to write
- Structuring a research paper
- Using common scientific sentence structures
- Writing with conciseness and precision
- Maintaining flow via strong transitions
- Emphasizing the most important content
- Using proper punctuation
- Writing in British or American English
- Building self-editing skills
At the end of the workshop, the participants will be able to…
- Effectively organize, structure, and write papers
- Write more elegant and concise text
- Emphasize key information and reinforce impact
- Identify and correct common writing issues
Dr. Ashley Williams is a scientific language editor and soft skills instructor.
He completed his Ph.D. in microbiology and genetics at Indiana University (Bloomington, IN, USA). He then continued with post-doctoral research at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA, USA) and the University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA, USA). In 2012, he relocated to Germany where he worked as a senior scientist at the University of Cologne for nearly eight years. His time working in this extremely multinational environment gave him a profound understanding of the language challenges faced by non-native English-speaking scientists. Drawing on these experiences, he has created workshops and seminars designed to teach and fortify these important skills.
Dr. Williams currently resides in Austin, Texas (USA).